Chauffeur in Probation

by - August 14, 2016

I remembered my mum saying, 
"During the one-month break, make sure you practice your driving... especially your parking. Can drive only what's the use if cannot park the car"

In fact, I've been waiting. Waiting for the time I am needed to drive. I mean obvs I can practice going anywhere but taking the time (and effort) to leave the house just to go around the neighbourhood, hmm where's the fun? 

So this week was me behind the wheels most of the time. On Monday, I wanted to go far and since my mum had a day-off after the Standard Chartered KL Marathon (the Sunday before) she agreed that we jalan-jalan to Subang Parade. As we were leaving the house,

"Mak, nak gi hospital eh? Pergi macam mana?" - mum

"Entah si Sri (our maid) dah call Grabcar ke belum" - mum's mum

"Takpe la. Meh, kitorg tumpangkan. Dah alang-alang Elin drive ni" - mum again

Therefore, I ended up driving all the way to the border of Selangor-KL. Bcos my grandma's hospital happen to be UM. Then had to follow the original plan and drive all the way to Subang.

Skipping to Thursday, Ms. Leong planned to come to my house. Problem is she didn't wanna susahkan her dad again (I think that was the case... I might mistaken it lol) so she asked if I could drive to her house, pick her up then drive home again. I was like OK, but my parents had a loooong secooond thought. 

"If awak boleh convince nenek ikut sekali baru boleh"

Smh. Parents with their trust issues. /sweat

In the end, I dragged my grandma along. But we had a misunderstanding... the usual age-gap miscommunication prob like psft nothing's new. So I got sesat. Yeah I sesat around the area to my school, which I used to pass by every. single. day. Took me half-an-hour to and fro WHICH if I were still in school and was driving to school I might have to face Pn. Hams everyday. Thank God the fact that I'm not in high school and Pn. Hams isn't even the discipline teacher anymore eases the thought.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday... the days my dad went to Penang for a company event. Dad aka our family's driver. In his substitute, I drove to buy groceries, getting brunch and dinner, it feels somewhat like my weekend job yknow. 

Today, I was driving to fetch my dad from his workplace at Subang and I almost hit so many people it's so dangerous ohmagawd. Found out; If making a U-turn NOT at the designated place, it's YOUR responsibility to be cautious of the passing vehicles bcos signalling to the direction doesn't tell people you are U-turning. Secondly, if a car is reversing from its parking spot and you are driving pass, HONK bcos drivers can't see their back if a car is coming. Thirdly, if there's a motorcycle in your lane in-front, leave some gap bcos the blame is on you if you hit him. Lastly, it's called a 3-point turn if you wanna switch direction but don't wanna or cannot go further on the current road. 

The last one had my mind-blowing bcos it didn't cross my mind that 3-point turn on real road are defined by our own boundaries instead of only 'dead-end' like how driving school taught us.

P.S. Parking in front of open-air restaurants when no cars is around is embarrassing af. Bcos the people eating outside all look at you probably wondering "Normal tak budak tu? Nak keluar ke nak masuk?"

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.