A Joseon Cinderella: 100 Days My Prince

by - December 20, 2018

I'm not really fond of historical drama but I knew I wanted to watch D.O's acting cos my EXO-L heart is begging me to... so I had to make this one an exception.

This time I'm reviewing tvN's "100 Days My Prince" (or also known as "백일의 낭군님" which literally translates to "100 days' husband") starring Do Kyung Soo (EXO's D.O) and Nam Ji Hyun. Both are famous for their acting and again, they never fail to impress me. The men in this drama are also such eye-candies too. There's Kim Seon Ho as the second male lead and Kim Jae Young as the female lead's brother.
I gotta say, this drama has a somewhat cliche but interesting plot at the same time. For a start, the drama title really says a lot. But unlike any other prince-falling-in-love-with-a-commoner story, this one is a fresh one. I like dramas where the girl aren't any less superior than the guy and this definitely matches that thought. The girl is from a noble family and so is the guy. A change of situation causes the guy to become a Crown Prince... when he wasn't supposed to and the girl ended up as a peasant. And if you are an avid fan of kdrama, you might know or seen that a lot of times, the King is either always sick but still have to rule the kingdom or is too greedy to leave his spot. In this case, the King are neither bcos he knew that the spot wasn't meant to be his but he ended up being ruled instead. 

So in this post, I just wanna share some interesting things about this drama that you might also found eye-opening and maybe would want to consider watching it too.

1) Savage-level: INTELLIGENT

I love the lines used in this drama. It's hilarious to watch. You get to see a lot of bromance but also dissing among the characters. 
When the dad first found the Crown Prince and started asking him about himself - to which he can't remember.

When the second male lead who was a Governor asked the Crown-Prince-now-peasant to do something to which he refused, they then started name-calling each other to which I found very amusing to watch. 

When the second male lead tried to help the Crown Prince remember stuff, but had to check whether the Crown Prince is still 'intelligent' first.

I know the screenshots above doesn't seem so funny, but trust me IT REALLY WAS A GOOD LAUGH!!!

2) Love after marriage

It's very rare to see in ANY kdrama that an adult guy and adult girl falls in love after they get married and are faced with trivial mundane lives. However, this is what makes this drama so lovely. I have never seen such a noble guy (and probably would never) who respects a girl by his subconscious virtue rather than what he was told to do. You see, he lost his memories so people around him were telling him how he used to be when they were clearly fooling him, cos nobody knew who he was. Despite that, he trusted his guts and acted rather noble-like. This drama actually made me have hope in love after marriage.

3) Sweet betrayal

The Crown Prince had a Crown Princess but they didn't have the best relationship. Little did we know, she cheated on him. 
Look at D.O's facial expression though????

But honestly, one of the saddest love story and it was one I didn't wish for a happy ending too, until the Crown Prince told them to live happily. That's when we know it's not actually that bad of a forbidden love. Though it didn't end as well as we hoped oops.

4) Cinderella

A noble lady became a peasant then he met a Crown Prince and fell in love with him. Please don't tell me this isn't another Cinderella cliche? But what surprises me most, is how long it took for me to realise that! I was halfway through the drama that I started to see the similarities. They didn't make a stupid clock-strike-12 rule or even a cruel-step-siblings rule so it wasn't totally a knock-off.

5) New Joseon fact!

I bet I'm not the only one who just found out that maidens back in Joseon era braids their hair and leave them like a ponytail. But once you are married, you bun your hair. And that my friend is how you know whether or not, a girl is taken.
6) Wise words

As always, dramas aren't just entertainment. You can actually learn a lot from it. Like how I learn the Korean vocabs being used, kdrama lines and quotes are also ones I always look forward to.

A very well-made drama by tvN!! 박수!! I would rate this drama a good 9.5/10. Highly recommended. It's nice to see every question given to the viewers ended up getting answered. A good plot indeed.

My only complain? I wanted to see the female lead become the Crown Princess huhu 😭😭


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.