Love & Hate: Mirror of The Witch

by - August 10, 2016

Another kdrama review because this year is simply blessed with good dramas. As being the me who hates waiting, I chose another completed drama to watch and that is Mirror of The Witch. Known as '마녀보감' which literally is 'witch mirror' with 보감 also means handbook, manual or thesaurus. It airs through the cable network JTBC, from mid-May until mid-July 2016 starring Yoon Shi-Yoon and Kim Sae Ron.

Poster credits to DramaFever
It had been a roller-coaster of feels watching this. Now, it's time I let it out. SPOILER ALERT!

Love:

At first, I contemplated on whether I should watch this drama because for a fact it's an ancient drama. The drama sets within the Joseon era so the obvious difference is the way they speak and dress. For me, I don't watch these kinds of drama. I tend to avoid myself. However, I did started to like hearing how "baku" the Korean language was or to notice how srsly beautiful hanboks really are. The female lead's hanboks are sooo pretty I tell ya!


Look at dem pastels omo

Photo credits: Dramabeans 

Next, the fairy tale feels. This has got to be one of the best well-written fantasy drama in my opinion. The female lead - Yeon Hui, is born cursed so within the early episodes we know her hair can turn white. Remember the movie Tangled? That's how it kinda remind me of when she transforms. Remember Snow White? Instead of living as her, Yeon Hui lives as the witch... without the mirror. At the end of episode 8 though, her 'mirror' is unstatedly revealed. It's the man who is destined to protect her *cue an orchestra of tadaa* 

Moreover, the mission. Yeon Hui lives to break her curse. This drama have an aim and that's what keeps things moving... differently. She needs to light up a total of 108 candles before the Polaris disappears within 5 years. The candles are lighted up by granting people's wishes through the making of elixirs based on the Grimoire of Curse. Unfortunately though, the candles stop burning after the 100th when the latest wish-makers die one-by-one from the murderous act of black magic. Damn, never know lighting a candle can be so intensely tough.

Additionally, the romance. This might not be your kind of sexually-pleasing dramas... You'll know why in a bit. But I still really like the romance it provides. It's suffice and not over-done. The kind we people call 'innocent love'. I love how they meet twice (before and after she appears witchy) and how fate glued them together (by turning him into her 'mirror').

One and only one problem - black magic. That's where it starts and will always re-starts. Black magic means spirits and spirit means ghost, ghost means spooky and spooky is scary. Conclusion is this JTBC-produced drama is sometimes an adrenaline fun. Not too much of horror but mystical, definitely. 

Hate:

Tbh, I watch this solely bcos the female lead is Kim Sae Ron (playing Yeon Hui). I'm glad that all the casts were fine-looking after I started watching. But there's a shocking fact I figured later... the age gap. I couldn't be more surprised and a little disgusted by how huuuge Sae Ron is with her love interest. Not only that, all the 3 males around her is about double her age. She's 16, the man playing her love interest is 30, the man playing her brother is 31 and the man playing her guardian is 27. So yeh, don't mind the G-rating. Good thing they all look young (wild and free) #professionalismatitsbest

Another thing, this is a 20-episodes drama. My usual watch are mostly 16-episodes bcos things are either draggy after or the ratings must've suck badly if it's lesser. One of my rare acts of wanting to watch a lengthy drama THOUGH I am glad it is fairly proportioned. Just that the additional 4 episodes might be a second-thought to some people.

Furthermore, talk about disgraceful royalty. The drama occurs within the royal family and for being barren, the Queen started using black magic to produce an heir. Is2g things would be much less complicated if the characters aren't so dumb for wanting to use black magic to solve all the world problems then suffer the consequences with another whole lot of black magic, like seriously when will it enddd -_-"

Second lead syndrome DOES NOT EXIST. Not that the syndrome is good, but the fact that he (the second lead) exists and the syndrome doesn't is what bothers me. If you are an avid kdrama fan, you know this is like a requirement in kdrama world. It gives the feeling that something is missing. The reason why is bcos the second lead is just so weak I kenot. He loves her to the extend of harming her?! Bruh, that is just crossing the line.

Aand that is it.

Now, for my thoughts on the ending. MORE SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Such a bittersweet ending. Episode 20 is by far the most intense episode and also really that is when all the true love acts happen even with the light romance, it still got me good. The ending was hella twisted. Truthfully, it isn't the kind of ending you can foresee or predict before watching. 

Their love was heartbreaking. The sacrifices he made for her and she made for him at the end really touched my heart. Wait, no. It broke my heart. Seeing the smiling face of Heo Joon (the male lead) assuring the love of his life safety even when he had to give up his life was achingly beautiful. His willingness to sacrifice way til the end had me falling hard for him. Yeon Hui's sacrificing herself to break her own curse was a serious shocker. 

"I'll savour the days that we spent together... days that we'll never have again. I'm sure that if your memories of the time we spent together translate themselves into an ardent-enough longing, we will meet again" - Yeon Hui

I love the touch of history towards the end gave a little meaning towards the character Heo Joon. Fyi, in history Heo Joon was a royal physician known for his great contribution in the medical field through the Dongui Bogam (clickable). I get that the writer wanted to show Heo Joon's achievement here, HOWEVER they made him waited too long before the main characters reunite. It bothers me that 40 years had past until they finally meet again. I'm glad they eventually did, just isn't quiet happy with that fact. Wish they could've shorten the wait or let them live their lives with each other, I mean HOW ARE THEY LIVING WITHOUT EACH OTHER WHEN THEY MEAN EVERYTHING TO EACH OTHER?? 😩

Truly a love hate drama. I love the plot and I'd recommend if fantasy and horror is more of your taste without leaving a lil' romance behind. Happy ending? Yes. In the way I hoped? No. Great watch nevertheless.

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.