A Day in The Life of Radio Announcer

by - August 18, 2016

Last week, Leong told me about a radio event - Planet Radio, that's happening the next week. It was a hint she doesn't wanna go alone. She told me it'll be awkward. Even awkwarder bcos it's Leong we're talking abt. Considering right now we're both on our sem breaks, I was already thinking 'why not?' but hidden truth... she only had me at "It's free!".


Planet Radio's 5th annual event - Radio Today 2016 was held at MMU Cyberjaya and organised by Commercial Radio Malaysia. It was a joint event by more than 20 radio stations (seems like it) in Malaysia! Famous ones namely Hitz, Fly, Mix, Era, Hot.fm, One.fm, Melody, BFM, Thr, iM4U and Sinar. 

At the registration table, I met my second cousin. Surprise, surprise! She was like "What are you doing here? Oh wait, you study here kann I forgot." Yeah, I tahu la we only meet once a year but at least pretend to know better pls. With my wth face, I went "WHAT?! No laa, I study kat Melaka" then we just laughed our way out of the convo. Lol that's what happens when you don't tryna mingle around your extended family. 

Anyway, the event was scheduled at 9.30am. We arrived pretty early. So we were chitty chatting our way through. Checked my phone... 9.15 Good, almost time. Talk more... 9.30 Oh, probably starting soon. Talk some more... 10.30 Are you kidding me?! 

It started an-hour late. But it begins with a sudden uproar from a group of kecoh people conquering the stage. They introduced themselves as the cruisers for different radio stations, self-promoting and bribing us with their goodies (not really). Me and Leong looked at each other not understanding what was happening. Really, we went there not even knowing how the program is gonna be like. 

Then enough time, the MC took over the stage. It was Zher from Fly.fm as the MC. 

There were 3 sessions in the event. Started-off with a forum-like talk show. It was among the behind-the-scene masterminds and the only person I remembered was Dato' Jake Abdullah (from Jakeman & Skeletor) as the guest. 

Then continued with the same concept among the front-liners - the radio announcers aka DJs! Sooo many of them that the whole stage barely fit everyone. All I know was the one from Hitz, Fly and Hot.fm bcos those are the only radios I've ever tune-in to. Ryan Matjeraie (from Hitz), Guibo, Dennis, Hafiz (from Fly), Ikhwan and AG (from Hot.fm) are namely who were among the DJs. 

Last session, Q&A. This is the most fun part of the whole thing. The climax. Here's some insight from the sifu that I was able to jot-down. 

1. Be yourself. No fake voice, fake attitude bcos you ain't wanna try to be someone else.
2. Share great stories. You wanna be heard? Relate to what makes you... YOU.
3. Have a thick-skin (muka tebal). Fail and getting back up isn't easy. You get rejected so what? Doesn't mean you should stop trying.
4. Knowing your audience. Recognising your age group to find and make a content out of it.
5. A good DJ is defined by the attitude of keeping up with the trend and passion.
6. Keep information short but packed.
7. Nervous is good. It helps to make good preparation within certain time limit (e.g. in 30s or 50s). So use your skill and the power of intelligence.
8. No politics, sex, racial and other sensitive topics should be touch.
9. Be well-prepared. Good preparation takes a long time and practice. They are not spontaneous acts.
10. Jangan syok sendiri. Current with the world issues. Keep it simple.
11. If you be something good, people will come. 
12. If fame is what you look for, be a DJ.

At the end, lunch was prepared and it ended with open photo sessions. I only took 2 pictures bcos let's just be honest, I barely know DJs.

I came out to Zher and she was like "Are you from MMU?" so I told her "No. I'm from Melaka" but I'm meant to say that I STUDY there. She misunderstood bcos who wouldn't and was like "Woah you came all the way? Thank youu". No Zher, I live in PJ but got thrown to another state I swear I wasn't tryna lie.


Then I wanna take a pic with Tini. Tbh, I forgot her name. I was thinking either Titi or Tina. So when I approached her I was just like "Tumpang sekejap" Smooth Amelynn~
She also asked whether I was an MMU student. I should consider enrolling in MMU. Why is everyone tryna start the conversation by engaging this kind of question? Ask la where I'm from without any assumptions. You making feel bad to say that you're wrong.


Therefore, that's the end of my day. The event is very "short but packed". An insightful event with a small audience of 500 people or so. An event that is worth attending for anyone who's simply wanna be a good speaker. Personally, I would wanna attend it next year.

Related: A video by Agung Hapsah (in Indonesian). Worth a watch!!



Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. HELLO LEONG HERE. THAT IS SO NOT TRUE K. LAIN KALI X NAK AJAK KANG. 😤😤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beb, you know exaggeration is my thing hahahaha jgn la merajuk :*

      Delete

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.