The ElyXiOn in KL: Rockzone Experience!!

by - July 20, 2018

2016.

The year I went to my first KPop concert. And that happened about 2 years after stanning EXO. At that time, it was EXO'luXion.

Unfortunately, I didn't have many pics from that day. In fact, was there even any? I wasn't technically equipped and we were seated really far so even if I do have, they must've turned out real bad.

Back then, the only wishes I had were to;
1) buy myself a ROCKZONE ticket, so I don't have to look at the screen during the concert after paying them so much
2) a new phone which I can use to record the concert with. One with a better low light camera and better zooming

2018.

The ElyXiOn.


Believe it or not, this has only been my second Kpop concert to date. I never got the chance to go to any other concert, until EXO decided to come again right when I have the money to afford ROCKZONE. Yeah, I didn't go to 2017's EXO'rDIUM and kinda glad because this time around, they have it in a much smaller venue.
YAY CLOSE-UPS!!

So, how did I manage to get my hands on the ticket?

In case you didn't know, here are the range of prices for The ElyXiOn in Malaysia:
ROCKZONE / CAT 1: RM748

Actually, the day they announced the ticket prices was the day I competed for my Bahasa Indonesia Storytelling Competition. Fortunately, I won 2nd place for that competition and got a RM1000 cash prize from it. You can read up about it HERE, if you're curious.

I'd say it really was a gift I managed to get for myself. Because to be honest, without that cash prize, I wouldn't be able to spare any money for this concert. Simply because I had nothing to convince my mum with to be able to spend such a big amount of money. 

So that's how I got the budget.

When Ka Mun - who's obviously more experienced than me in these concert life - told me to choose between asking someone to buy on the sale day (bcos we obviously couldn't make it since I'll still be in Melaka) or to buy online the following day, we knew the first option was our only choice. Mainly because, EXO is a famous group and tickets will be sold out faster than we think. Which was so true because 70-80% of the tickets were said to be sold on the sale day itself.

Therefore, we ended up paying someone RM70 each to buy a ticket on top of the actual price. It's a lot, no matter how I see it, this is probably the craziest amount I've spent to date. At the same time RM70 was considered a good deal because Ka Mun also found buyers who'd charge RM100 and above for the same service.

From what I know, our buyer were sleeping overnight at the event place as early as Wednesday when the ticket sale is happening on a Saturday. So to think how crazy the situation is, I find it to be a pretty reasonable sacrifice considering I wouldn't have to go through all that trouble and drama she was in. 

We initially wanted ROCKZONE Left, but we got the Middle 100Plus one. So Ka Mun looked around on Twitter and found someone who's willing to meet up and exchange tickets.

Ka Mun really is the hardworking one here hahaha.

So end of the ticket story, moving on to the Concert Day!!

7th July.

We met up at around 7am in LRT Taman Paramount and reached Axiata Arena at around 8.20am. So, we spent some time walking around buying merch and getting freebies (we got so little btw) before sitting down.


I'm just gonna put it out there and say that THE MANAGEMENT FREAKING SUCKS. FYI, ROCKZONE is the only zone which is 'free standing' meaning you gotta be early because first come, first serve and you would definitely want the best and safest view (aka closest to the barricade). 

But the thing is they could've made a proper queue in the first place. And the management should also be aware that we who didn't sleep overnight, would want to secure our places as well despite us coming later. They didn't provide a queue number and that itself is horrible enough because we would be so cautious with everything and people were already stressing before even entering the event hall. We were clueless on where to queue and to sit so we ended up being restless for no reason.

We had to 'queue' and stand up for 5 hours before they open the gate and it was really stressful. The sun isn't so bad. But the standing up and the constant worry is the worse considering we paid A LOT but the management didn't even properly organize us while we were outside. We were in a situation where body meets body and our legs couldn't budge. They did have some RELA people making sure we were less chaotic, BUT they could've made it simpler by providing something like a queue number or anything else of some sort to ease the chaos. Who wouldn't get mad when some people lied and cut lines but it is to be expected, so why be so OBLIVIOUS?!? 

I really wished StarPlanet would improve more on this. Have a better system please. Look at the squashed plants in front of Axiata Arena and you'd realise how terrible the situation was. 

It's so bad that some fans even mentioned how much they regret buying ROCKZONE if this were the case. We paid the same amount as CAT 1, the only difference was that CAT 1 had numbered seating and ROCKZONE didn't, so we were the only one pushing and being pushed despite us having the same entrance. Funny.

Our zone took the hardest effort to enter. The other CATs even laughed at us from the floor above because it was such a nightmare for us while they entered so free and calmly.

The security didn't even check our bags properly at the entrance. But then as soon as we entered, the signs were pretty clear so it was all good. Ka Mun and I didn't get to the barricade because the area we wanted were already filled up.

I managed to pray Asar like exactly 15 minutes before the concert starts at 5pm. My heart was so nervous when I prayed under the staircase right outside the hall whereas the fans screaming were truly a distraction lmao. I don't think they have a surau in the event place itself or not that I am aware of so thank God I brought telekung with me. Making my way out was easy, making my way in was... the death of me. Literally got a death stare while trying to reach Ka Mun who were standing among the crowd. 

The saddest part was, I am just too short for ROCKZONE. Imma be honest, I couldn't see the main stage in the beginning. I was holding my phone up and was watching them through my recording. 

Well, that wasn't the experience I imagined.

Later on, my arms got hurt after holding my phone up for so long. My neck hurts for having to look up at the high stage and my feet hurts damn bad for tip toeing. I realised then and there that it's hard not to put down your phone, because you literally can't see without it. It really wasn't only for keepsake but rather works as your eyes in this situation. 

The best part, on the other hand, is when they performed right in front of you so you got to record an up close plus also seeing them live even if it was just a glimpse. That moment did happen and I'm truly grateful for it. I got to see Chanyeol and D.O then Sehun and Suho. But mostly I see Kai whom I've been wanting to see. Him dancing is the true highlight and I got his fluid ass on tape I'M SO HAPPY FOR THAT.


I didn't get to see Ka-Ching and Call Me Baby live through my own pupils because they performed on the main stage and I was no where near, so that was unfortunate because I really wanted to see those performances live. On the bright side, they performed Don't Go RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! I loved that song so much and was one of the song I already know by heart but didn't get a proper experience during EXO'luXion, so the fact that they still perform it after all these years made me really happy and glad that I could see it for myself. Sadly, Yixing who made me love the song's choreo in the first place wasn't there to perform.

Overall, ROCKZONE is great for once in a lifetime experience. However, not something I would wanna go through anytime soon. From what I see, CAT 1 was also really near and could see the stage just as good in my opinion. For small hall like Axiata Arena, I'd recommend CAT 1 if the ROCKZONE is a 'free standing' because you'd save yourself the stress and pain (only get it if it's a seating one maybe). I probably would have more fun if I were to be in CAT 1 but I did enjoy the concert nevertheless.

I'm glad I'm able to be there anyway. Next concert would probably be iKON's Continue Tour in KL, maybe? Hahaha tengok la rezeki and date dulu. But I REALLY wanna go see iKON live too so there's a high chance that I'm going if nothing forbids.

P.S: Why is SM so kedekut? They should've let those pay most go for soundcheck or get some extra stuff or smtg of some sort like for Twiceland. Haiiih /sweat

Thank you Kai for being right in front of my eyes for a countless amount of time. Thank you KaiSoo for always appearing close together. Thank you Chanyeol for the never ending fan service. Thank you EXO for not excluding Malaysia in your tour! But maybe next time let us in for soundcheck too pleaaasee...

Now, I shall leave you with my concert 'vlog'. Enjoy:



Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yeayyy finally THE post! Omg i nak pergi kontinue jugakkkk but hmm tengok dulu lah kalau ada orang nak beli buah pinggang i ni hahaha. Anyways, on my eyes yang tak pergi ni of course i envy your experience but all those standings before and during the concert... ugh mesti penat gila. Thank you for sharing this Amelynn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! Feel free to visit mine :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.