Ramble on iKON

by - September 10, 2018

To commemorate me who spent RM380 on another concert tix recently, I would like to share a little story. 

It's called "How I Fell in Love With iKON" hahaha. Just a story I would like to relive once I grow older honestly.

The name iKON had been around for sometime. I heard of them. I guess it was when they first came to Malaysia in 2016 for their SHOWTIME tour.

I had friends who liked them. Not wanting to feel left out, I tried giving their song a listen... thinking well maybe I could've fall for them too? So I listened to 'Bling Bling' and then tried out 'Rhythm Ta', but... I just wasn't hooked. 

I disliked their vibe, it was too angsty for me. But after watching one of their interviews, one member stood out from the rest. It was Bobby. He didn't look very appealing at first. So I thought, "Meh, they're just another hip hop boy group".

*Sings Team B's 'Just Another Boy'*

Fast-forward to few months back, their existence resurfaced when I first heard 'Love Scenario'. OK that song was probably their it song bcos I know for a fact a lot of people started joining the fandom since then. Well, Hanbin had been getting more recognition ever since. #PROUDMUMMA *flick away tears*

So after hearing that song, 'Rubber Band' came along and hohoho the dark hole just grew 10X bigger, sucking all dem fangirl side in me! 

Watched their music shows and dance covers of those two songs. After a while, YouTube started recommending more and more of their content and I happened to click on their fanmade "funny moments" video. One after another, I noticed a lot of the clips were taken during their pre-debut era. It was when they were in those survival shows.

I started looking up for their songs in the show "Who Is Next: WIN" and the first one I listened to was 'Climax'. I didn't know what to expect. Later did I realised... I was tearing up. You should know, it's not easy to move people's emotions at a live stage with hundreds of people watching you. But these boys, who at that time were just trainees, did.

Here's Climax in case you're curious.

I didn't know much about them at that time, but hear me out when I say I can deeply feel their desperation and sincerity on what they're doing, through that song alone (which was also self-written by them).

Then after I found out they lost to Winner (Team A), it got me curious on why they DIDN'T WIN?!

From there I started watching "WIN" and honestly, I was stanning Team B (a.k.a iKON without Chanwoo) the whole time and was disappointed that they really didn't win. Their performances got such great response from the judges compared to Team A, it was almost impossible for them not to win in my opinion. I didn't have anything against Team A. I know that they tried just as hard, but still my heart wasn't convinced. I guess, the fans were. Or like some said, it was just part of YG's marketing strategy.

And you thought my curiousity would end there, noooo... I have never seen an idol being so transparent *looks at B.I* and someone so determined on something from a young age until who is now around my age. So I wanted to see more of them, that's why I started watching "Mix and Match".

Through that show, I see everyone who was in Team B just burning with the passion to win. After all, it was their second chance (after WIN) to proof themselves. Seeing them getting burn out from practicing everyday in the wee hours made me realise how hard they actually work.

Ultimately, I was inspired by the man called Hanbin (B.I). He was the leader and had qualities that not everyone possess - choreograph dances, compose music, writing lyrics while looking after the other members. He does everything and he's good at it. However, pressure never stops from trying to get him.

With the additional 3 members on top of the 6 original members to compete with, I find it to be so cruel of YG but at the same time so clever of him. Clearly, it was not easy for everyone especially B.I. Yet one thing that amazes me is how in that show, B.I's team always ended up winning after every judging. Like you can never see him lose... I was practically praying to see him lose at least once. It's impressive that no matter who is under his care, he will somehow bring the good out of them. His ability to match different member's needs is a wow factor for me. Truly reflects just how thoughtful of a person he is.

Not saying Bobby's and Jinhwan's teams are bad, in fact they couldn't have done any better, but it was obvious then, why B.I was their leader.

Also compared to during "WIN", Team B had B.I as their leader despite them being the younger group while for Team A, YG had to make the decision during the show itself. Not saying they aren't competent (Seungyoon and Mino are GREAT), but instead just see how incredible B.I is.

Oddly enough, after me marathoning their survival programs which actually ended on 2015 when they debut. The 2018 me was blessed with another news - "iKON TV". I wasn't a YG stan so I didn't know all the previous groups had their own 'TV' but merely the fact that I will get a weekly update after just founding out about them already made me beyond THRILLED! I didn't even have to wait, I was already late lol.

iKON TV has brought a new image of them because they seemed more relax. But can't deny the fact B.I is still as hardworking as ever (when will I ever be like that). Within that short period of time, I fell in love with all 7 of them. It started from Donghyuk but ended with ChanBin.

Then not long after iKON TV, their summer variety show called "Summertime" came into picture. I wonder how their schedule is like... they're already so busy as it is!

Bringing up the reason for this post is because roughly a month ago, YG announced iKON's next WORLD TOUR and guess what? Malaysia pon ada!! Macam tahu-tahu je YG. And few weeks ago, I bought a ticket to their concert here in Kuala Lumpur huhuhu I so hepi, but my bank account aren't.

Even though the system was very inconvenient and my payment card was rejected like 10 times (God knows why TicketCharge is like dis), a junior's friend managed to successfully secure our tickets! Thank God!

To sum up this whole post, iKON is like my current motivation plus entertainment... like who can resist their variety mess? And B.I will always be pabo Hanbin, who shall never stop pabo-ing and I shall love him anyway.


Sooo that's the end of my ramble. I shall see you in my iKONTINUE tour blog post soon (insyaAllah). Kbye.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruh 17-year-old you was mature af to think like that ok. At least you didn't fell for YG's game... unlike this idiot here who's typing this ahhahahaha. But haih I'm so late to the party lol

      Delete

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.