Internship Application Story (part 2)

by - February 07, 2021

If you haven't read Part 1, I highly suggest you to read that first (click here) to have a better point-of-view between the two offers - KPMG and Petronas.

This post will be about why I rejected Petronas' Internship offer. 

So, my experience with Petronas' hiring process was very... brief

I didn't have an interview. I simply submitted my resume and applied at their website, then got an offer letter in my e-mail 3 weeks later. Not as much to tell as KPMG's, huh?

Before coming to a decision, I have consulted and talked to more people, about this than an average person would, in accepting an internship offer. As my aunt would say it, "It's a very nice problem to have" lol... but jokes aside, both offers indeed is huge especially for the start of my career.

I'm gonna divide the advices that I got into 2 parts - advice from people who don't know KPMG and people who knows KPMG.

Commonly, everyone agrees that Petronas would look better in my CV - no doubt. So why do I still reject Petronas?

First, everyone who doesn't know KPMG obviously know about Petronas. Personally, I didn't know what KPMG and how big it is before accepting the offer too. So I understand where all of these advices are coming from - the big name. Nobody bothered what will I be doing, everyone only cares about the company. Well, if I didn't want to think further, Petronas is clearly the best bet.

When I posted the news on my IG story, I got more DMs asking about Petronas than I did with the KPMG offer. A lot of them advices me for long-term sake to join Petronas. Now, let's just hold it right here.

Next, the people who knows KPMG. This is where I hear great advices from people who actually talks about the working environment. It's a great place to gain experience because of the amount of projects they have. Which is why the learning curve is steep and why there are chances of me climbing up the ladder faster.

According to my aunt who's working in Petronas, the reason I didn't get an interview but straight to the offer letter is because if an employer/supervisor sees my resume and are interested, they could immediately send an offer to the candidate and that's normal. Funny in my previous post, I was being skeptical on companies that don't conduct any interviews...

Regarding the career growth, Petronas don't usually hire permanent staff. In order to cut down cost, they prefer to hire contract employees. And the department that I got which is ROVR, is a department under Petronas Dagangan that deals with the transport of fuel. It's unclear where would I fit in, but I kinda get a gist that my role might not be as interesting as what KPMG has to offer... somehow.

Actually both job descriptions are quite vague and I've heard daunting opinions on KPMG's but that is another thing I would have to try for myself to see.

On top of my aunt's advice, my uncle also had a fair share of advices on KPMG. 

From an experienced person's point-of-view, KPMG provides good training for their employees albeit it being very fast-paced. Which if I am an intern, is a better opportunity for me to learn and rack up on experience. For a start, it's not important for me to care on just the "name" because experience is what increases my value as an employee. Undeniably, even my aunt admits that Petronas also looks for an experienced person in hiring and people from KPMG is also favored.

Considering KPMG and Petronas are just as reputable, choosing one with a better career growth within the company seems like the better offer. As much as Petronas does sound better in a glance, I have to say that Petronas' offer does not really seem impressive, especially when I won't even be working at their HQ in KLCC lol.

Tbh, if I was comparing Petronas with some other small company, I would immediately accept it. But the dilemma isn't that, so wow it was a tough choice. 

My reasonings might seem all over the place but I hope this explains why I rejected such a great offer. If KPMG ranked 4th in 2020's M100 ranking, Petronas ranked 2nd... not a big difference but what did I do to deserve such fancy offers 😵

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. congrats amelynn!!thanks for writing the two posts bcs im also ignorant about kpmg hahahaha wish u the best for your internship! 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gomawo Ida!! Well, thanks for reading these 2 extremely lengthy posts til the end hehe 🤭

      Delete

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.