Throne war: Scarlet Heart Ryeo

by - January 24, 2017

Yo! I'm back with another drama update.

After The K2, I decided to go further back in time and by that I mean a thousand year worth of time, into a different era - Goryeo Dynasty. This review is for the oh-so-famous drama titled 'Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo' and damn that's one long title. It aired on SBS since the end of August until October 2016 for as long as 20 episodes. The drama stars MANY hot guys or princes but the leads are  mainly Lee Joon Ki, Lee Ji Eun @ IU and Kang Ha Neul.

Credits to DramaFever

Credits to DramaFever

I'd separate this post into 2 parts. One is a review up until episode 10 and the other continues til episode 20. The pretty obvious reason why I separated it like so is bcos the Second Lead Syndrome is TOO REAL HERE. The first half of the drama made me cringe and getting all confused like who the hell is the real main lead... But they made a good job at making us feel like there is smtg wrong with our understanding and the way we think lol. 

There are so many things to love in the first half. The plot as in the beginning where they meet-up, their bonding, their humour and the best of all is the casts' acting. IU portrays a miserable girl from future who ended up in the Goryeo era - Hae Soo. She lives among the royalty and the princes. Hae Soo is very close to the princes made the whole thing such 'friendship goals'. My fav character is probs IU's and Baek Hyun's, THEY ARE VVV CUTE AND HILARIOUS I KENOT. 

The romance however is where the second lead syndrome takes over. Ha Neul's character - Prince Wook happened to have feelings for Hae Soo (like duhh, that's what second leads do) and so did Hae Soo towards him like awww. But the fact that Prince Wook, is (SPOILERR!!!).... married. Wth like waeeee!! I feel so wronged. I pulak yang rasa camtu haha. I still like their relationship up til then though.

The second half is where things get messy and complicated and hurtful. Right thru the interval between part 1 and 2 is where basically the climax when Hae Soo is at her lowest. Prince Wook is so disappointing but at the same time, it wasn't really his fault. His commitment was towards something far more important than a mere girl. Yet he pushed her away - pretty harshly the way I see it. It breaks my heart to see Hae Soo in such condition but this is where the hero comes in for good THANK GOD. Joon Ki's character - Prince So is practically a mysterious guy full of hatred but in reality, just someone who are lacking of affection. The definition of tough on the outside, soft on the inside implied so well here. 

Credits to Dramabeans
Sadly enough, Hae Soo rejected his love (so weird like isn't this supposed to be a second lead syndrome thing ugh idgi). She, being someone from the future, able to see things flashing in her head of what soon will probably happen. I don't like the fact it's the reason she feels disturbed around Prince So knowing he will probably turn evil. However, I do love how they make her feelings for Prince Wook fade and shift to Prince So! 

I'm loving and appreciating every bit of the complication. It's funny how we are progressing as king-by-king die but at the same time we aren't, bcos the problem just keeps getting twisted. Too many antagonist in a drama... sakit kepala. Both Hae Soo and Prince So developed such a great character. Their sacrifices for each other are so unpredictable. 

For the ending, I really thought it would be somewhat similar to the ending of the short kdrama 'Splash Splash Love' (if you haven't watch it then go watch! It's one of my faves plus, it's only 2 ep) but damn this is pretty rushed. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if they show Prince So existence in the current world just to make us feel better for them hmm. The saddest part is that Prince So's life sucks so bad up until the end. His fate sure isn't doing him a good favour. Why must everyone he trusted leaves him?? I feel like cuddling him up or take him thru a portal into the future or smtg. He deserved a much much better life.


"If I had not met him, I would not yearn for him. If I did not know him, I would not think of him so much. If we had not been together, I would not have to disappear. If I did not treasure him so much, I would not have so many memories. If I did not love him, we would not need to throw each other away. If we had not been face-to-face, we would never have been together. Perhaps if I had not met you at all..." - Hae Soo








All in all, love the drama so much!! The ending wasn't as bad as I expected, enough to make me feel ok. Though my heart had been broken countless times but it's alright I'm still good. Til the next drama, thanks for reading!


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.