Twtfemes

by - September 07, 2016

At 9am on 6th September 2016 a.k.a yesterday, I tweeted smtg. Something that was shared by my dad thru our family whatsapp group. Something... funny. 

My dad recently became an uber driver. A few weeks ago, I suggested him to try GrabCar out. Maybe, just maybe if he was ever interested in getting extra income yknow. But I was simply suggesting without much thought of it. Beyond my expectations, he took things seriously. But instead of becoming part of GrabCar, he became an Uber driver instead. Fyi, Grab is a Malaysian-established company similar to the famous American 'Uber'. But simply put, he's now a part-time driver.

He has been sharing all kinds of experience, customer feedback and all those stories about his newfound part-time job. As his daughter, I was just as thrilled as him. Especially when I was the one who suggested the job to him. Kinda like being the starting point of his career lol.

So yesterday, among the customer feedback he screenshotted and shared, there was one pic that he shared captured my attention most. I laughed hard. Well, what else would people normally do in that situation? Share la kan? So I did. I tweeted about it. 



Then the most unexpected thing happened. That shit went viral. Since I tweeted at 9am when I'm in uni, by noon I already got 100 retweets and it kept on rising... whilst I was in lecture classes. Talk about distraction. For someone who barely got my tweets seen by people, this was an achievement at its max. For the record, my most RT are like single digits on overall of my 5 years worth of tweets.

Well so obvs, I got excited when this happened. I watch as the numbers rise. Then, I began feeling slightly bothered by the buzzing sound from my phone. Especially when I thought it has anything to do with my family, friends or classes. But things was still bearable at that point.

At dinner up until Isyak is when real issue come in. Someone pointed something out. One is that, I captioned it as 'uber driver' well bcos my dad IS AN UBER DRIVER. But why the pic showed 'GrabCar (Economy)' instead?

Secondly, I was linked to someone else's tweet. A famous person... With followers of over 100k... He uses that pic. I thought he stole my pic. Until I saw the time and date "11:59 pm 02 Sep 16" OH SHIT. His tweet was earlier... by 4 freaking days. It suddenly clicked in my head that the pic isn't mine, nor my dad's. I unintentionally stole someone else's and claimed it as mine. I was flabbergasted. Big time. 

I didn't know what to do. I tried ignoring and pretended as if I didn't see it. But more people started pointing it out. I cannot bear the comments telling me about my clearly silly mistake. So I tried to voice out. I personally replied those commenters. Then I explained myself on the tweets that follow-up with the BIG tweet. What did I expect?? People's understanding, maybe. Nop, I hoped too high.

By like 400+ RTs, I started receiving hates. Smtg like "Weh batak RT" or "Dah bukan ayah kau delete ah" or "Grab ke Uber hmm #misteriNusantara" and the list goes on. They're all pointing out stuff I already explained but it was too many of them that it's already hard to correct everyone. 

Why can't people just accept it for its main purpose? Fun. I shared bcos it's funny so why can't you just laugh it off? Shut one eye and enjoy the joke. People just wanna look at the mistake and focus all on it. DUDE, HOW MANY TIMES YOU WANT ME TO EXPLAIN MY STUPIDITY?! Do the world want me to exclaim myself stupid or what?

So at 500+ RTs, someone said "Batak RT la tu. Dah banyak RT memang confirm takkan delete punya" and it hit me. Tbh, I didn't even know what was 'batak' and that I just know it sounds legit bad. So people are mostly seeing the wrong side of me. That feeling of lying to the world only for the sake of fame is TERRIBLE inside. Bcos I know it's wrong of me!! Not many sees my intention of correcting things. All they see is the mistake I made. 

You may think, I was giving up too fast. I didn't. It wasn't giving up. Think of it as a prevention of something bad. I'm preventing people but mostly myself from cursing each one of the commenters about something that is clearly my fault. I was pretty much defenseless in that situation. Nobody can side me. One or two previous commenters did voice out for my stead. But how long do you really think that'll last? 

It started getting late at night and I am so done dealing with dem anger. I don't even get what's with the anger... Cam bodoh je. But I ended things for good. I deleted that successfully famous tweet. At 530 RTs. I am so proud of myself. It felt like I just ended World War 3 tau. 


I've experienced so many indescribable feelings. As if, I just saw a glimpse of the celeb life. The fun start of it all vs. the downside of things. It's hard. Harder than I thought. Reading it when it's meant for others and when it's meant for you is very different. It's true that one hate comment overpowers 100 other nice ones. The scars cut deeper on you. And can only be felt, not described.

Good thing is I became famous. For like 14 hours. For the wrong-but-not-so-wrong reason. Yay. Nothing much changes. Neither my followers nor my confidence level increases. Only my anger did. I learnt that being straight-up famous eventually tires you down. So, take time to be successful for your own effort. Fame is only a temporary satisfaction. But success determines a character. Allah made me deal with my own ego last night. I believe I'm just lucky bcos tweets are erasable. Some mistakes aren't. It's scarier to think that you are unable to escape once you fell into the unexpected hole along your pathway. 

Anyway, that's my story. Feeling kinda traumatised now. But if I were ever to be placed in the same situation, I'd at least need a better back-up plan lol. Thanks for reading peeps! /bye

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.