Story of My (First) Week

by - September 09, 2016

My first day of university also happens to be the first day to many others as well. First day, first week... Ooo exciting!

We were well-informed that this university uses an e-learning site called U-Learn. It's a site where all the lecturers will share announcements, notes, lecture slides, quizzes and whatnot thru one platform. Kinda like VLE Frog back in those days. So, we were told to enrol ourselves in all the classes we're taking using our subject codes. It's so that we can read the stuff beforehand to aid the learning process in class. 

But do you reaaally think we'd enrolled? On the first of class many haven't even check out the website lol. I'm excluded but majority has it. /nobigdeal

On top of that, books are still required. There ya go spending over RM20 on each book. Idk whether it's a good idea buying such a nice new book only to collect dust by the end of the sem. Even though, all the lecturers are like forcing us all to buy... well indirectly. But still. Where are all dem second year seniors?? SHOW YOURSELF!!

The subjects are still at the basic level. I have classes like Calculus (pre-calculus to be exact), Computer Organization and Architecture, Programming, Multimedia and Database. These are the subjects computer science diploma students need to take on the first sem. I'm interested in learning all of it except demn calculus. Cos I forgot all my add maths edi. 

All my lecturers meet that high expectation of mine. They're fun, chill with a lil bit of strictness, bilingual and pretty fluent all except for calculus'. My calculus lecturer looks like she's gonna cry just by looking at us. And her class is so static and monotonous. Haiih. 

There's another case about my database lecturer but she isn't so bad... It's just that she couldn't stop... ok... without continuing... ok... her sentences... ok... by not saying... OK!! Trust me, I feel like raising up my hand and pointing it out during the first class. If I could find a way to tell her in the mooost possible polite manner, I BET YOU I WOULD. But on the other hand, I'm already 'marked'.

The story was that, when everyone else raised up their hands asking for permission to go to the toilet... I raised mine too, but threw a question instead. When I first raised up my hand, with a slight sigh she said 

"Ye? Tandas jugak?" 

Then I replied, 

"What? NO"

She was at the topic 'Types of Databases' and so I asked 

"Nowadays we have cloud storage, right? Then which type of database is that?" 

YES AS SIMPLE AS THAT. But I can see through her eyes the gladness of what I said. Or that maybe bcos my English slang was so unusual. Idk. But she told me that my question is so advance AND I TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT TQVM.

So now, I am known by her that way ha ha ha. I'm not sure if that's ever a good thing.

My male lecturers however, are simply cool dudes. They're very laidback but at the same time manages to teach informative and interesting stuff. Well, it might just be bcos of their subject also lol.

Anyway, there's a male lecturer teaching Programming. You'd have no idea how surprised I was when I first saw him. No, he doesn't look abnormal. Except for the fact he's half bald. But bcos, I've met him before! During our short-sem few months back. 

He was the one barging into our classroom demanding for our SPM result slips. Yes, it was as exaggerating as that sounds. All my classmates were stunned af when that happened. At that time I thought he was a mere office worker of some sort. But noooo HE'S A FREAKIN LECTURER!!!! Mana tak terkejut beruk?

But he shared to us smtg. An insider scoop.

It's the truth behind our reshuffling of class for this semester onward. They're actually... based on our Add Maths result!! Those in Seksyen 1, either did not take add maths or got bad results for it. While Seksyen 2 mostly took add maths and got a not-so-bad result (bcos mine isn't good) or if didn't, it's bcos their other subjects consist of mostly As. 

Ta-daaa! So that is why... It's why such requests to change our group or section are inconsiderable. And that these groups are forever permanent. Also the reason why he needed our slips in the first place. Mystery solved!

Yes, I'm in Seksyen 2 and... I don't have Friday classes YIPPEEE DOODDIIEE!! That is why I have time to blog rn. I think that is some of the highlights of the week. Next week, is a full-week of break due to Raya Haji and Malaysia Day. I'm taking the university's bus back home at 9pm tonight. Have a safe trip, college friends!

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.