Me to you?

by - October 22, 2016

These past few weeks, I have been receiving all sorts of first impressions from people about myself. Therefore with this blog post, I am documenting it.

For 3 times in a week, I have been asked whether I am from... Sabah(?)

I get it... It's the way I talk YES. But Sabah though? I asked my Sarawak-ian friend if she thought of the same thing and she said my accent sounds "verrrryyy little bit similar to Sabah" 

HAIYAA TAK LA TU  -_-"

Oh and also regarding my accent (takde pun sebenarnya 'accent' bagai, bunyi slang je lebih psftt), someone asked me if I'd ever lived abroad before. Demn boi, me wish me had! It'd made me sound really cool if I ever did. Unfortunately, no.

About my appearance, confidence aaand the way I... walk(?), I have been asked whether I am from SBP school a couple of times and I am curious about smtg... Do. I. Look. Like. I'm. Smart? First interview MRSM pun tak lepas weh. Tah tah selection nama nak pergi interview pun takde dalam senarai.


Now what is Amelynn, without a little softball story. /hmm


I have been told by someone that people from the softball team was wondering why I refer to myself using 'I' and 'you' instead of 'saya' and 'awak' or 'aku' and 'kau' like how people from Selangor/ KL usually talks. And the assumption that they made was maybe bcos... I am from a girls' school? They said that must be why. Tbh, not too sure myself. Hmm yeke???

Also, literally everyone who've seen me throw and catch the ball could tell that I was previously a catcher. THEY ALL COULD TELL. Even recently, a guy who was observing asked whether I was a catcher then when I said yes he said "Oh, patutlah" 

PATUTLAH, GUYS PATUTLAH!!!

I was honestly ain't tryna brag but damn, you can picture how I must've overly-reacted to the point it made me stood out that much lool. I was blending in ok. Trust me. I tried to.

Next is regarding my name.

IS 'AMELYNN' TOO LONG GUYSS?? I'm guessin yes. People always wanna make it shorter. Mostly prefers 'Lynn' for short. It's too common, I feel weird haha. However, I'm thankful as it is for I am acknowledged by others.

But problem is, I have a busybody lecturer who digs out and memorise our personal info he got from our student records. He is one of our Academic Advisor btw so he can access everyone's records. Not lying but for less than a month now, he is THE ONLY lecturer who memorised each and everyone of our names AND which group we are divided to. 

Anyway, he knows me as 'Izzaty'. The only person who calls me by that name.  Really now? It's not enough that my student card has that name written on instead of 'Nuramelynn'... WHICH made me wonder, isn't it more common to use first names in Malaysia?! He uses that name in class for a few times but after sometime, I went straight-up like "Jangan panggil nama tu" and he questioned me back "Eh, awak bukan Izzaty ke?" then I was like yes I am, but... he interrupted, "Habis nak panggil apa?" so I quickly said "Panggil la Amelynn. Panggil Izzaty nanti tak terpandang pulak"

MEMANG BETUL PON.

"Jadi kenapa ada Izzaty?"

"Sebab supaya nama tak pendek sangat. Izzaty tu kira nama 'hiasan' je. Takde orang pun panggil nama tu"

"Oh la... (when I thought he finally understood)

 Tapi biar la saya sorang panggil awak nama tu"

/no /no /no

Now, he calls me by both names. Great.

In the end, that's my experience with new people. Hope that story was well-understood. Btw, mid-sem break IS HERE!! Semester 1 have been exactly a month! Seems like my limit here is only a month bcos there's always a break or holiday after a month. Hahah adios~

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.