My Uni's Library

by - June 30, 2016

I am having so much free time rn hahah. So here's another post where I will do a lil introduction about the most heavenly spot in uni - the library. I find this place SOOO DAMN COOL!! For a start, they have freakin HOVER BOARDS. I never tried riding it though just bcos I don't wear pants around campus so often since I brought vvv little amount of blouses. I will try, once I come back from raya break insyaAllah /hmm


View from my blogging spot


They have so many spots to hang around here. I'd show you everything but the place is so huge it'll pretty much be embarrassing to snap pics around lol. For a start, they have 3 floors - 1st (ground), 2nd and 3rd floor. The 1st floor has the widest place to be doing work and hang around. And there's also PCs available for students and no over-the-counter registration required to use them, BLESS.

Internet connections on the PCs are tip-tothetoppest-top but obvs privacy aren't bounded to happen. It's the reason why I still prefer laptops despite the better connection on PC. I really like to have personal space so library always provide that, plus great air-conditioning system (refers to only on the first floor though hahah bcos the rest of the floors always felt warmer). 

Moving on to the 2nd floor, there is where you can find books, books and MORE BOOKSSS. I borrowed the books here and both the borrowing and returning process is seriously a bliss, I tell ya. They have self-service system so when borrowing there's this scanning machine that we can use to borrow books without the need to queue at the counter. Not to mention, wayyy faster. But even if you don't use it (like me, bcos there's smtg wrong with my student ID so I cannot use it... yet), there's barely people queuing at the counter anyway.

Similar to any other universities, they use the call number system to locate books. If you didn't know, call numbers are those numbers and alphabets they have on the side of most books. Call numbers make finding books to be easier compared to manually looking through multiple shelves. How we use call numbers though?

Well through my university's library's website where we register using our student IDs, we can log-in as a user and use the WebOPAC system. WebOPAC is where you look for the specific books you want and to see whether they are still available on-shelves. If it is, then all the shelves would be labeled by their alphabets and followed by numbers. Look for the first letter in the first line and then followed by the second to find specific shelves. I love this system bcos it makes finding books to be very professional-looking. And I love that feeling when I found the exact book I'm looking for.

3rd floor and 2nd are pretty much the same. Just the different kind of books on the diff levels AND what makes 3rd floor to be my preferred spot is the solo seats available. Normal libraries have the big rectangular tables with 4 or 6 chairs around and so is the 2nd and 3rd floor here. Unfortunately, I find it to be too much of a space for a single person. As someone who likes going to the library on my own, I always like the single seating they provide at the 3rd floor (like a study table concept) for a better privacy. In addition, 3rd floor is MUCH MORE QUIET than 2nd. I guess bcos 3rd floor seems too high up for lazy kids we all are. The library do have elevator BUT it's on maintenance and isn't functioning for now HAHAH PADAN MUKA.

I talked about borrowing system but I haven't mention bout the returning part. Other than the usual over-the-counter method, well there's a thing called 'Book Drop' here, It's basically a self-service method to return book. You put your book on the conveyor belt once you press the instructions on the screen and they'll automatically can detect the book. After that, your record for the book will be change from 'borrowing' to 'returned' TADAA!! Convenience at its best!

Other services include iPad loans for students in the library, discussion rooms (no advance booking required just first-come-first-serve) and carrel rooms for students who prefer enclosed space. For classes in library, there's viewing rooms for that. Probably there's a lot more things available but here are the ones I know of and remember

I'm loving it here. It's very... urmm... technically advance haha /nobigdeal
My apologies for not having any useful pics. I was too rushed on wanting to share this experience without much thought of it heheh. 

Going home in 12 hours. 
Dropping by from Melaka,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.