Ramadhan on my own

by - June 25, 2016

One more week til I'm going home YAY!!

Assalamualaikum w.b.t
(and hello gais)

30th May ~ 30th June will mark my first month of university (and away from home). For the record, ever since I set my foot here in Melaka I have never once went home.

"Jarang orang Selangor tak balik weekend" was the common phrases I heard every time I told them I ain't going back that weekend. I feel kinda proud being this one-of-a-kind person. Homesick is yet to be felt so I'm glad that wasn't in my way.

Great thing about not being home on weekends is that I'm free to do whatever I prefer. I can go out if I like, wake up late if I want AND one thing that I have on weekends that I didn't have on any other days is A ROOM ALL TO MYSELF! I live with a roommate who's from Melaka so every Thursday after our last class (diploma students here don't have classes on Fridays), her parents will pick her up to go home. She'll come back usually on Sunday night around 10pm.

But living alone doesn't allow me to have all the relaxation I used to have back home. I gotta do my own laundry, ironing clothes, find my own food, some cleaning and those kind of 'chores'. It isn't so bad but still I have MORE THINGS to do.

It's good though cos I have more time here than I did at home. Even though, I wake up late most of my weekends I can still get things done if I want to. Meaning the distraction from m parents wanting to take the family out is not there. Friends here aren't such a big of distraction. I can simply refuse if I'd like to.

We already got some assignments coming both individual and group works. I completed my individual work for one of my class that same week as it was given and somehow people found out about it. I showed my lecturer a glimpse of what I did on my laptop and I think my friends saw it. To make things worse when people were talking about the assignment on the class whatsapp group, someone told the class about me being done with it. As expected, people started invading me with messages asking stuff about that assignment. I got sooo many messages that I don't even bother saving their numbers anymore. Guys or girls... everyone's the same.

Good thing is when people approach me (doesn't matter how), it's a great way to meet new people. Up until this date I've talked to more boys in my class than I did in my whole high school life. Aside from my groupmates, there's this guy I'm helping to check his assignment out and through that guy I met a bunch of new faces every single time he called me for help. You guessed it, they're all guys.

I'm not the kind to waste time chatting on whatsapp for fun or even layan-ing those people in class group chats. But I am fairly active when it comes to things that matter to me like with my housemates or groupmates. Or when someone calls out for me. Simply put, when I'm needed. I actually did talked with those noisy guys in class and I think irl they're better than behind those phones. In the sense, they're aren't so annoying in front of my face.

Speaking about this holy month, I've made a bond with a senior. She always invite me to break fast with her or perform the terawih at the nearby mosque or even take me to the seniors' house where many more of people my age were invited. I often see new faces when I go out with her and even familiar ones like those from the same faculty. She's playful just like me so it's fun teasing her and treating her like a friend instead of a senior. The seniors always share stories from the al-Quran and I like the fact that I'm able to gain more pahala this way instead of being at home wasting time. Not to mention, getting a whole lot new experience like eating in a talam for buka.

Alhamdulillah I've learnt to do what's right even if nobody's willing to do it with me. I've never missed terawih as long as I am here and even back home if my mum doesn't go I'll hesitate to go and ended up not. It's a surprise I'm having the heart to do so even if I'm on my own and it's true that good influence matters. I've met a friend from my class whom I never knew before at surau. If I hadn't been going for terawih, I probably will still remain anonymous. She's nice and it's good finding someone as rajin as you lol.

With all the good things happening, I hope this last 10 days of Ramadhan may we all be blessed with more good things and pahala insyaAllah.

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.