The adventure begins

by - December 10, 2013

Photo credit: Syafira Ain

From the 2nd til 5th of December ago, I went to an annual school camp which is known as Kem Tahan Lasak (translated as 'Extreme Survival Camp' lol I just made that up but hopefully you get the picture). I went to this camp last year but mainly we played sports like volleyball, handball, futsal, kayak-ing and flying fox. This year there was a little twist because throughout the whole 4 days of camp we were handled by askar Wataniah (they're like back-up soldiers).

On the first day of camp itself, we have been treated like soldiers already. It felt like an army camp in a way. We even slept on a soldier bed (they called it as warden bed though), the ones that can be set up and without mattress. To help you city people imagine, think of it as the stretcher that paramedics use but in the colour of army-green and has legs like a bed.
Every morning there we did physical training (PT) which was very fun working out those muscles I never had. There are also some new experiences I've never had before throughout this year's camp.
For the first time I've...
- Been to an army camp.
- Clean the inside of a fish (specifically catfish).
- Ate a part of chicken that my friends slaughter and cooked.
- Went jungle trekking through deep inside an actual forest (well it's in a University region but forest is STILL A FOREST).
- Fishing using a pole made of a tree stem.
- Fishing in general.
- Went camping without a towel (never mentioned this to anyone throughout the camp but it's true that I forgot to bring a towel and survived 4 days without it).
- Goes to camp with friends who I planned to go with (usually I'll go to a camp without even knowing who else is going).
- Awarded the BEST group in camp.
- Only bring one small backpack, a small carry luggage bag and a sleeping bag. The least clothes I've ever brought to a camp.

I would story tell the camp activities and all but I don't think anyone would want to read that long and detail version so I'll just leave you with a group picture with all the 44 'cadets', teachers and facilitators.

Group shot!

A close-up in case you can't spot me. I'm the girl in blue shirt and black hijab btw.
P.S. Do you notice the dude in army pants and black tee at the front row in the group shot? Yeah everyone in camp seems to fangirl over him, but to be honest he reminds me of my primary school crush so badly. Every time I look at him I don't see the guy everyone at camp falls for, I see the guy I fell for back then. To any of my possible close primary school friends reading this, you'll know who I'm ranting about.

Xx,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.