Gifts

by - November 23, 2018

That day it was someone's birthday. As a friend, I bought la a present. And I have never felt so taken aback by the reaction.

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to buying someone a gift. Firstly, I would spend money on you. I won't dig out all my harta karun and give an unused item of mine. I invest my time and money on new item, so that you could feel my sincerity. Secondly, if I have no clue on what to get for you (bcos I suck at taking hints and I'm a cheapskate, so what my friends would really want would be out of my budget fosho), I would buy you something that I personally want to own. 

I have been keeping those rules of thumb ever since my primary school days. Every time I do that, I no longer have an attachment for those things and I hoped that my friends would like it just as much as I personally would (if I did get it).

I have heard someone telling me that people won't like the gift if I were to do that since it is what I like, not what they like. My honest opinion? Be grateful someone even had the consideration to give something to you on your birthday.

Honestly, I wasn't raised to accept gifts on birthdays. I couldn't even recall the last time my parents bought me a birthday present. Let alone my brothers. I could only remember the one time they bought me a birthday card and gave it to me one day earlier because my dad mistook my birth date to be 10/10 instead of 11/10. Still touches my heart just by the fact it was something the 6 year-old me least expected.

All I could remember from them was birthday treats. Now that is an annual thing, on every one of our birthdays. That's how my family celebrates it. With buffets and steamboats and sometimes, steaks and fine dining. Though I enjoyed them a lot... deep down in my heart, I really wanted them to surprise me with a present one day. It doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to be something I never once had.

It was always me earning it for myself. Sometimes, I do get jealous at people. Like the dreamy girl that I am. That is why I always like to give presents to those who least expected them, it made me feel like a godmother. Also, lowkey hoped it happens to me too.

I actually have a digital post-it on my laptop screen of my family and close friends' birthdays. I wanted to get eveeeryone on the list something, but unfortunately it's hard enough getting one person something. If only I have the money, I would!

So, I was actually very terasa when that person pointed out how "cheap" my gift was compared to what I was given. Siap check harga Lazada tu. Berkira tahap dewa kot. Padahal hadiah dia pun takde la bernilai mana. One sentence that really made me annoyed and had some sort of regret was "Lain kali aku belikan yang sama bagi kau". I said boleh je, but janganlah beli sama. Just bcos... where's the surprise?? But he said "Haa tahu pun kau pun taknak", as if what I gave was so... meaningless(?)

Oh how I wish, people could just be a liiitle more thoughtful.

UPDATE (29/11): Yesterday, I was hanging out with my friends including the person I bought the present for. Turns out, he never had such thing before. This is the first time he is owning one.  I don't know if he wanted to show his gratefulness or he just wanted to let me know... but that kinda made me feel slightly better than the reaction I got earlier. Cos I've always wanted to give someone something they never had before even if it was just something small and simple.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. The only person from your circle that i know had their birthday recently is 'that person'.......... don't tell me it's him?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye Ida. Him. Honestly no one else would be that insulting other than you-know-who... Now you see my dilemma hahaha

      Delete

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.