Phone, why u like this?

by - October 21, 2018

For the past few months I was having a love-hate relationship with my new Samsung phone. I bought it in May 2018 so technically, it hasn't even been that long. I upgraded from a mid-range Asus phone to a Note series Samsung phone - which supposedly be a more high-end range. The reason of me purchasing this expensive phone (to me, it is) is because I wanted it to be long lasting... damage-proof, if possible. I not only wanted a pretty camera or a big enough storage or the latest version of OS with the biggest RAM and powerful processor... I wanted them all PLUS a stress-free usage. My old phone was stressful enough cos 1) it had extremely little storage space and 2) the battery dies too fast.

So when I bought the Samsung Galaxy Note FE. I had pretty high expectations. For those of you who don't know, Note FE is the refurbished version of the explosive Note 7 which had been discontinued. They used the unused parts of the phone and sell it under a different name. Therefore, it is one of the best phones by Samsung spec-wise but they are reselling it under a different name - Fan Edition (FE) with a much lower price point. 

Being from a good and well-known phone series, I didn't expect to face any issue within just few months of usage. Until one day, I found myself struggling to even reply my WhatsApp messages. The screen suddenly couldn't detect my taps like it used to. It kept on missing my touches and lead to inaccurate overall detection. I can't even slide my edge screen from the side - which I find to be one of the phone's handy feature!

I didn't have time (or the ability) to go to a Samsung store so soon. So I did like what most IT people are good at - troubleshoot. I searched up the problem and ways to solve them. I couldn't deny that there were solutions online but they still didn't do me justice. I only could think of it being a software issue since I didn't even drop my phone or caused any physical damage to it. The phone looked pretty unharmed. In the end, nothing succeeds. So onto the last resort!

Most websites mentioned at the end, if it still can't be fix even after all those formatting and app checking procedure... just send it for repair. I thought since it was still under warranty, I could get Samsung to fix it for free. 

Initially, I went to the Samsung store but I was told to go to the Service Center instead. That was last week back at home. Then yesterday, I went to the only Authorised Service Center available in Melaka which is at Aeon Bandaraya Melaka. Nasib dekat la jugak and I am already familiar with that mall.

They told me they could fix and return it within 3 hours. Same day?!? I was expecting a week worth of wait though. I even had my friend prepare her backup phone in case they are keeping mine for repair. They didn't ask for any proofs or documents like warranty card or anything like that. They just needed my phone. 

So when I came back to collect it, they replaced my LCD screen with a new one. Still wrapped in plastic. It felt new. They told me they'd formatted my phone, but I'm not sure if they did since all my apps like the placement and all are exactly how I left it. The only thing I needed to redo was the biometrics and passwords. The phone repair didn't cost me any money (bless warranty). But the financial damage of being in a mall was inevitable.

I was interested on extending my warranty since I've seen someone getting out of trouble because he purchased the extended warranty. 

My phone being from the Note series would cost me RM140 for another year of warranty.
I am highly considering it, in case things like this happen again without warning. I'm only allowed to extend it while my current warranty is still valid so that makes the deadline be before May 2019. Just putting it out there for future Amelynn.

The lady behind the counter did mention that if you are sending in for repair, make sure the inside seal have not yet been broken by an unauthorised third party since doing that may void the whole warranty coverage. So, only go to Samsung's Authorised Service Center! The service was indeed very pleasant for me but I hope to never have this kind of problem with my device again huhu.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.