Final Month of Internship

by - August 03, 2021

We have finally come this far. I'm almost finishing 6 months of real working experience without even stepping into the office at all or get to meet my colleagues in real life, but that's okay cos I really like working from bed home. 

I don't like to admit that I've changed BUT I definitely felt like my thought process changed so much compared to the first half of 2021. 

My performance during my internship wasn't exactly applaudable though. I never quiet stand out among the other interns and my image to my seniors were probably that I'm the kind to "only do as I told" or a "yes man". Honestly, I did only deliver what was requested and even so, it felt like I've done enough. I guess I'm not that ambitious after all haha.

However, I love that my job allows me to have a fair share of work-life balance. It's an unspoken rule that nobody messages outside of office hours and I really like that boundary.

During my free time, I've been really into self-development stuff, specifically investment and coding side projects. 

For the first one, I started from learning about personal finance to the benefits and strategies of investing especially for beginners and youngsters. For someone who likes to have plans, understanding more about healthy financial strategies and what should be the smarter money decision kinda get me into that mindset where I should act as if I am already making a big amount of money even when I haven't.

I also joined a couple of webinars regarding investments and even found good YouTube contents explaining more on the financial stuff, which opened my eyes a lot. I also started reading some financial books, though this one is taking me forever to finish but I am indeed making some progress which I'm still catching up on.

And on top of that, I've been trying to be better at programming whereby I started to play with codes based on my own initiative. Quiet scary at first but finally convinced myself to start somewhere.

At first, I started because of the pressure at work but then I found a really good tutorial by chance, which made me realize that personal projects don't have to be 100% original. Like I can literally follow a tutorial on YouTube, style it in my own way and call that mine. So, I've been trying to do that, even though it's quiet hard to keep up especially when I'm always stuck with errors related to different operating system (aka out of my control). The amount of troubleshooting is kinda tiring to say the least. But I have hope in completing the entire course so I hope I can share the link to this project in the future 🙏

Lastly, of course since I am left with a couple more weeks, I have started to apply for permanent roles and some graduate programmes. After talking to my team leader on some potential career paths and the different technologies, I don't think I'll be staying in KPMG after the internship just because I realized that they don't have the software structure that I wanted to learn more of. 

I'm still at that exploration stage and I'm glad that I kinda have something else that I can look forward to from another company. So, currently still hoping for a reply from some of my applications haha.

Despite the situation being very disheartening lately in Malaysia, I am very grateful that I am able to feel at ease from a personal level. I can only hope and pray better days will come, also days where I can meet my friends, have sleepovers and go karaoke cos damn, I miss singing my hearts out 😞


Side note: Please pray that I can get my internship report done so I can have more time for myself lol.

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.