Rewarding

by - July 25, 2021

I saw someone posted on Twitter, where she was encouraging SPM students to further their studies in computer science because being in the tech industry could guarantee you really good salary in the future. 

Here's the tweet, in case you're curious to read the qrt.

Despite some kind of truth mentioned, seeing how the quote retweets mostly talked about the stress and that it isn't worth the money at all made me ponder upon it. A lot of them also said how hard coding is for them.

Throughout my secondary education, I remembered the subject that gave the greatest satisfaction to me was accounts. Funny thing was, I only felt it towards the final revision classes leading up to SPM. It was the time I successfully balanced out my Kunci Kira Kira for the first time by my own effort. 

Being in the extra class with top students, I was always behind. Those who take up accounts as an extra subject were mostly those who guaranteed an A from it. Me on the other hand, was the total opposite, yet I remembered being super happy after I got my SPM results and glad that I stick through with it (despite my teachers countlessly asked me to consider dropping the subject due to my poor trial results).

Accounts was the subject which I considered paling berjasa to discovering my career interest.

When I was finding my path after SPM, like everyone else, I had a lot of doubts. After crossing out what I disliked, I ended up with either IT or engineering diploma. And because I kinda hated formulas and physics, I listed IT as the higher option.

After enrolling in Computer Science, I expected myself to be able to write codes and create some cool apps once I graduate. 

IT or Computer Science is a challenging course but what course isn't tbh. Still to me, it is one of the simplest compared to other science and math courses.

Most importantly, Computer Science is the only STEM course that lets you be creative without needing any artistic skill. That's when I realize you don't need to be good at drawing and painting to be creative because with coding, website interface is literally your canvas.

So to answer that tweet and the quote retweets, yes I think computer science brings a lot of opportunities these days due to the high demand and you should consider it if it interests you. 

But from the perspective of someone who doesn't have negative ideas off of coding, just like accounts, coding is really rewarding for me. I don't mean in terms of money, instead in terms of work satisfaction. 

In every small task you're tryna complete, it requires some sort of problem solving. With coding, finding the solution is often visually present in the form of success or error

Like Kunci Kira Kira, balancing the sheets was rewarding because it shows that my calculation was right. In coding it feels rewarding every time I got to clear out an error.

When you're just starting out, it sucks to repeatedly face the same error and I think that's why a lot of people find it difficult. Problem solving in coding is not just about finding the missing puzzle, it's about identifying why it raised the error and the most efficient solution that won't disrupt the other code pieces. In order to do that, you have to think of 1001 ways and attempt them before finding the one that is most suitable to your current project.

Going through that 1001 ways is the tiring part and the part which feels like you will never get the right answer. Also, the part where you might get sleepless nights from. I learn after coding consistently on the job as a software developer intern that you gotta embrace every error you get. Each error introduce you to another way in improving your code solution. There is no better teacher than your errors. Honestly, it's why practice is crucial in this field and I finally see that now.

Also, I think the pressure given within the organization and the team matters a lot. The difference between healthy pressure and toxic pressure can really determine your job satisfaction.

But I disagree when people say "the pay is not worth your mental health" just because the course alone is hard. I think every course have its own set of struggles. Saying coding is hard is funny because as if any other course can get any easier.

At least in the place I intern - KPMG, software developers in my company have it easier than tax and audit departments especially in terms of work life balance. I think getting a good pay always comes with a price in whatever job you're in so it's not necessarily the job's fault.

Sure you might hate coding because it's hard to wrap your heads around it and I understand that. I struggle with logic thinking myself, but then again, it really comes down to how suitable you are with what you do.

At the end of the day, no job is ever easy. Everyone would want that job if that is the case.

Lastly, I kinda agree with this piece of advice, especially the logical and creative thinking. So Imma just leave it here too.

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.