5 kpop songs that were meaningful to me in 2020

by - January 10, 2021

A pending 2020 post coming thru. 

It'll be great if I can do this annually, so that I'll be reminded of each song's meaning every time. To be honest, this isn't as hard as I thought. Even though there were more songs that I liked. These are few of those songs that really lifted my spirit whenever I'm feeling emotional. 

5. Domino by Wooseok (PENTAGON)

This song was recommended by Wooseok himself in a pre-concert interview.

It speaks about life being like a domino - you always try your best to stand up but at times, you just kept falling down. It's a very personal song to Wooseok so he felt hesitant when they decided to release this solo in his collab album. But I'm glad he did bcos finding a personal song that is officially released on Spotify is so hard 😩

I could picture both myself and PENTAGON through this song. It's a way to tell someone to let me be, but please don't go.

This year, I've been personally convinced that people who are depressed or having a mental breakdown doesn't necessarily want to hide it. We wished that we could express our feelings too, and when we do, don't try to comfort us with words but just be there for us. I guess the moment you say words that stop us from sharing (because you think it'd be hard on us) is just making us feel more unaccepted. So just lend your ears. 

I feel like domino
It will fall down anyway
I just need to build it up again
Don't worry because this is me
Don't comfort me
Just hug me tight without saying anything -
the day I fall in front of your shadow

4. Tonight is the Night by McFly

Not a kpop song but damn, this one is an exception cos it's the only English group I still listen to!

McFly has always been like that one friend who could relate to the inner me. Their music always touches my heart in a very personal way.

'Tonight is the Night' is about finally convincing yourself to break free and confront your worries tonight. It's a way of saying don't hold in any longer and just let everything out now. It's such a perfect song if you need some push to do something you're hesitating on.

This song sums up an entire episode of living with sadness, ironically in a very fun tune. When I felt really sad, hearing someone else share a similar situation gives me some assurance that I'm doing good enough. And that is what this song does. It gives that imaginary pat on the back.

Just one of a million people
who didn't see it before
So what am I waiting for?
Tonight is the night (2x)
Might've wasted the tears
But I won't waste the years
Tonight is the night (2x)
I admit to myself
That I'm asking for help

3. Eternal Flame by PENTAGON

This year is a beautiful mess for both PENTAGON and their fans.

'Eternal Flame' is a fan song and there's so much events that resonates with this song. Their first full album (Dr. Bebe's comeback) excluded a member - Yanan, while the latest album (Daisy's comeback) excluded another member - Jinho, so this was the only song this year and probably for the years to come that includes all of the current members of PENTAGON - which is very disheartening to hear as a fan. 

I love hearing fan songs and this meant more as it was made for us.


2. Pinwheel by SEVENTEEN

I listen to this song so much this year since the day I discovered it. I like the verses in this song and it's totally how I view the people around me sometimes.

This song is about waiting for someone, maybe to be acknowledged or just to get some of their attention. It's kinda like how parents wait for us kids, going out and about in our busy lives yet patiently wait for us til the day we come back home. 

Or kinda how we are unsure of how people felt about us, at times we don't care enough about each other and I actually wrote a blog post of something similar called 'Frientimacy' and I think that is very much what this song is about.

The verse that caught my attention most was;

Everyone are just not involved deeply,
They asked "Isn't the wind cold?"
They just asked that and walked away,
If you're gonna forget them all, why ask in the first place?

and another one (imagine your parents or loved ones saying this 😪);

But still, don't cry
Though it will be sad
I will faintly stay here for you

1. Not Afraid by 1TEAM

This song is about dreaming big and believing in yourself. Even when success seems further to you more than everyone else, holding on to the hope that you'll shine someday should be your focus. There's a bridge at the end of the song that goes "I want you to be my light" kinda like saying, it'll be nice if I could have you along.

As a fan of 1TEAM, I do keep some hope that they'll be known one day. However, it's hard to keep up as an average group in kpop, where even those from the big companies are struggling. Anyway, this song reminds me of that hope of wanting to have a successful life.

My favourite line is actually the beginning rap;

Who you? Who me?
I've been kicked out now, with no time to get confused
I really don't know where am I goin'
I need it now - your hand that held me

The street where I stumbled
Everyone's been busy, except for me
Do you know why they're busy?
I just wanna know who I really am

I guess you can say, staying mostly at home requires a lot of self-comfort.

Those are my list of 5 songs that got me through 2020. Spotify song list aren't exactly accurate when it comes to emotional connection. Before I leave, here's my Spotify 2020 Wrapped just as my future record.
Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.