Frientimacy

by - February 29, 2020

Last month's semester break has somewhat been a well-spent break for me. Not only did I managed to catch up with those I haven't seen for a year, but I was also able to sort my mind a little from the college and future worries.

But I've come to the realization after meeting my friends that not only our lives are vastly far apart - some are pursuing studies overseas, some have started working and paying off commitments, others are thinking about internships and future careers - but now our life concerns are also incredibly different. However, one similar concern that majority of my friends have is regarding their love life. Honestly, something I find hard to relate to.

Quiet a number of my acquaintances are now married - which I constantly find hard to believe. How do people afford to manage their financial with such low qualifications? How do one think of having children and other big commitments at this age? Do people not have big dreams of their own that they wanna pursue? From what I can tell, many of them are marrying who they really like and it didn't seem like a force marriage. Meaning, people actually choose to settle down early.

I haven't even started thinking about dating and all the consequences that follows. I'm still thinking about my own damn future. Am I missing out on something?

Somehow this creates an unnecessary pressure on the people around me. My friends are mostly thinking about caring for their partners or even struggling to find one, and I'm just here like... what's the rush?

I still feel like life has so much more to offer me and I don't need someone else to confirm that. Those who seeks comfort from others, aren't lack of humanly love, they're just lack of self-love. I don't get why majority of the people are pressuring themselves so much. Don't feel like someone else is obligated to fill your sorrow if you can't settle them on your own.

I have no ill feelings towards people in relationships just because I ain't in one. But I do hope my dear friends who are in the 'single' boat as me, aren't so pressured about love. Love is a luxury. It's almost like making the 1st big investment in your life which won't also end there, as the next biggest investment would further costs you a lifetime - children.

There's a video I would like to talk about. As you could've guessed it the title is 'Frientimacy'. It talks about the root to why we feel lonely. I think this could also be one of the biggest reason that we tend to seek a romantic love.


This relates closely to eventually a healthy marriage. Something that people neglect when jumping into relationships. But also something I personally worry about a lot. It's not just about having chemistry or some sort of in-common to bond with. It's about positivity, consistency and vulnerability - all the things that were mentioned in the video.

Everyone in this day and age talks about "meeting new people" and that's why we have so many social media and dating apps nowadays. If I were to mention some things stated in the video, it's NOT about adding more people in our circle, it's about bringing the people we know up in the frientimacy triangle.

We have friends and we need better relationships with them. Before finding the 'one', take care of the ones already with you. Before thinking of a future with someone, think about a future with yourself first. I'm not saying don't go out and date, I'm just saying don't dream about a life you know damn well won't last because you lack of knowing yourself.

I used to dream of getting married at 25. But now, marrying at 30 doesn't seem so bad after all if that means I get to spend more time delving into what matters more to me than just a perfect boy.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.