How I got better in (online) class

by - December 21, 2020

Staying at home has made my days pretty much a routine - class, kpop, kdrama, shopee, sleep, repeat. I've lately been addicted in collecting shopee coins lol. But even so, not one day felt boring enough til I don't wanna get out of bed. 

I think that alone is something last semester me couldn't relate. 

Hence, I decided to analyze a little bit of how things went differently this time. And of course, I'll try focusing on the things that I have control over

First, my mindset towards having a "break".

Last time, I used to think that I intensely needed some break every time I get overwhelmed. When my friends tell me I should get some time off, I really did. But that's the mistake, I overdid it. I rested so much that I ended up not doing anything with the actual work.

I gave myself too many reasons for a "break" that made myself very manja and lazy. I was really just running away from my responsibilities - which definitely took a toll on both my grades and mental health (in case you weren't reading my previous posts).

One thing that I learn from that is, I shouldn't have a break unless I've finished some work. I know it should go without saying, but sometimes, you gotta have a strong mind to achieve it.

cc: All lecturers out there 📣
Next is being time efficient in planning.

I have always loved planning. But do I always stick to them...? Uhh 🙂

Ok, so I suck at keeping up with my own plans. Then that left me with two options, either to build a new planning system or retry the old one.

That got me thinking. I realised that I never truly even keep up with the current system I have, so I decided to turn a new page and have a fresher start. I didn't change anything in how I plan since my diploma days. However, what I did change was my attitude towards it.

I didn't ignore my checklist and frequently updates them. To make sure I am not overwhelmed with work, I always break things down to smaller tasks. Instead of writing "Study Chapter 1, 2 and 3", I break down to 3 separate checklist - "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2" and "Chapter 3". 

Does it make my list longer? Yes. Does it motivate me more? Surprisingly it does. After I'm done with one chapter, I crosses one out and it gave me a great feeling of accomplishment even over something so little. 

From there, I realised that my focus is not about being productive, it should be about having consistent progress. There's no use in being super productive when the thing I should overcome is to just get myself to do something.

Lastly, complaining less.

Literally just watched this this morning and omg so relatable to this part HAHAH
I noticed that people don't complain when they're doing well. You'd think that is very obvious, but to me, that is a huge indicator that I'm doing well. Complaining less means lesser negativity so it's always nice to vibrate positive energy from within. I don't just mean complaining on social media, I mean complaining in real life - whether to your friends, your family or just whoever you speak day-to-day to.

To stop myself from complaining, I just force myself to do my best. I get myself to face all the work that I know scares me, just so that I don't have to worry about it anymore. I think we tend to complain about the things we worry most and it really shows when I get anxious even after letting it out.

I really hate that feeling so I try to address every single thing that makes me most anxious, soonest. So far, it has left me with more space to breathe. They still sometimes do keep me up at night, but at least it no longer linger more than it should. And I think that is a positive sign.

All in all, I am in my Week 11 of my final semester. Few more weeks until final presentations and final assessment. I'm praying I can get the GPA that I hope for, but most importantly the intern place that I dream of.

My degree life is actually ending soon! I'm not ready be an adult 😲😲

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.