Meet the preacher side of me!

by - March 17, 2014

Hye darls!
Okay maybe not. Anyway, last post was basically what happened 2 weeks ago that I forgot to post last week. Sorry but I'm currently dealing with my short-term memory problem here. Moving on, last week was another hectic week though it was less hectic.

From Monday to Wednesday, I was basically staying back to practice my pidato (aka Malay public speaking) with my amazing history teacher, Ms. Nadia to help me with my script for Part 1 of the competition. Yes you heard me right... there is more than one part . Haih. The first part is pidato teks which means you can talk based on whatever topic you choose and the script that you prepared for. The other part is pidato spontan, where they'll tell you to choose one envelope on the day of competition. Inside the envelope there's the title of your pidato and you are given 1 minute to prepare yourself without any help (including pen, paper or anyone... literally). Then another 3 minutes to talk.

My competition was on Thursday (13th March) and was held at SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 3. I left school at around 7.30am with Ms. Zatia. It was just the two of us. I am the ONLY one who went for the competition representing my school.
Can you feel the pressure I'm getting?? /blur

Once we arrived at the school and after my teacher park her car, I turn to look at my teacher and to no surprise I saw my brother in the next car. Yes, my brother also happen to represent his school for the competition. Yay to competition among siblings! After we got out of the car, we firstly have to register ourselves. And turns out, my brother got turn number 10 while I got number 9. Yeah coincidence much. Since our numbers are next to each other, we are ask to sit side by side. It's like we are meant to see each other even outside of the house. But I'm not gonna complain because my brother kinda help me be more confident to have someone I'm actually familiar with.

Then it begins. The first part, I did well I guess despite the fact I was talking too fast at first and kinda forgot everything once I'm half way through. But the second part, was an embarrassment to me. I got the title "Permainan Tradisional Wajar Dipelihara" which means traditional games are worth being preserved or something like that so during the 1 minute given I was too busy thinking for 2 points of what I wanted to talk about, I wasn't thinking of how I'm gonna start my speech. So my starting was full of crap. I was literally translating everything from English to Malay then my tongue decided to get tied... so all in all to me it sounded really horrible.

Just so you know, in the Petaling Utama district there's 22 participants so being a single-digit participant I got bored pretty quickly especially after the second part. The competition was held in the school's library. Heh you can probably tell what I did while waiting, yes, reading. Basically flipping through some of the books closest to my seat. Luckily there's something I could do or else I would probably fell asleep while waiting. Then before I know it, it was time for the prize giving.

"Tempat ketiga jatuh kepada... Nuramelynn Izzaty binti Hisham dari SMK(P) Sri Aman" /shock
What the hell?! Is that for real? Never did I thought I - who literally talked crap - could win anything. Especially getting third place out ouf 22 other participants in the district. Anyway I got a certificate and a cheap trophy.


The trophy is nothing much. My journey is like a trillion miles away from ending. This would be my motivation to improve. I'm glad I could be the child who brought back something, though my brother was better than me in my opinion. Basically there were more people better than me. "Why me?" is the question that'll forever stay in my head.

It was a great experience. Meeting new people and representatives from schools like SMK Sri Permata, SMK Assunta and SMK(L) Bukit Bintang. They were really friendly. And also some of them were actually from their respective school's perbahasan team too. Btw, it was exam week too so don't expect an A or B from me.

Xx,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.