Exactly as expected

by - May 18, 2024

Since I'm working at my new company, I've become a lot more discipline. I cook all my meals instead of buying out, did laundry 3-4 times a week, wake up early to prepare my lunchbox, and taking the bus to and from work.

It has been very much liberating and I'm loving it. Although I do miss my family and the thought of spending lesser time with them do saddens me, but I know this is a very much needed step to achieve my life goals.

One of my main reason on why I really want to experience living alone is, to get a taste of independence while I'm still not tied to any commitment in life a.k.a before spending the rest of my life with someone in the future (insyaAllah). 

I consider this experience as a trial period on this new living situation. However, my ultimate goal would be a permanent move out of my parents house one day. When that happens, I'm hoping to stay in a studio apartment by myself - no housemates, just pure independence. So with that, I need to be okay with spending a whole chunk of my paycheck on rent alone - which is not easy!

I'm happy that I get to fulfill 2 of the things I kept mentioning to my friends for the past 2 years. One being the plan to leave my company and two being the plan to live alone. I know people always talk about the former but never actually end up doing it, but I'm glad I am actually able to. It felt like I'm keeping the promise I made to my past self.

About living alone, I think it's pretty nice for me because of how convenient everything currently is. My housemates are clean people, my living space is decently-sized, the condo has great amenities, there's bus stop downstairs that takes me to my workplace in 20 mins (normal traffic), the condo also has 99 Speedmart and Eco Shop right below, the bus also directly connects to the MRT station, which makes going to my parents' home super convenient for me. 

All the accommodation hunting from my frequent travels has given me hands-on experience at finding the perfect living space for my personal needs. It's exactly why I love these kinds of experiences!


The work itself is a steep learning curve for me. Not only that the tech stack is fairly new, my coworkers are also super good in programming! Well, I'm actually glad cos it means I'm literally learning more within the past week than I ever did in the past 6 months at my old company, but it also means that whenever they discuss about their code or logic, I'm still struggling to make sense of things quickly. It's so hard to keep up with them and I think this is gonna take me awhile.

My boss and department are pretty okay so far. The department has 3 different teams so it's not that big but at the same time, it's not that small. My team has only 3 people including me. I'm not sure how I get to be here cos honestly imposter syndrome is hitting me pretty hard. Frankly speaking, these teammates were my interviewers for the 2 rounds of interview, so I'm really curious to know what was it that set me apart from the rest. I felt like a total noob and beginner at my job right now. 

My skills are obviously not as high as them so I wonder what made them see that I might be a good addition to the team. I think I did show my lack of knowledge even back during the interview, so I'm really questioning their decision about hiring me. Plus, hiring a Malay girl among 2 Chinese guys is not really a typical move?? Chinese IT guys are really power ok. 

I'm really out of place here. Like what could I possibly said or shown that could impress these interviewers... Who knows? It's too early to bring this question up but hoping they don't get too surprised with my subpar programming skills. Hope they don't regret hiring me and I can get through this 6-months probation period unscathed.

Pray for me.

Dropping by,
Melynn

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.