First time trying Chiropractic and Physiotherapy

by - August 21, 2023

I've been feeling sore around my neck for quite some time. I guess working from home all day and the lack of exercise routine is surely taking a toll on my body. So earlier this year, in January, I went for a massage. It was my first ever massage session. 

At that time, I was considering regular massage sessions bcos I thought it could relief my soreness. Unfortunately, after the first session, instead of feeling relieved, I was actually in more pain. 

I did shoulder and feet massage and for the whole week I was having trouble moving around bcos the massage spots were super sore. At first I thought it was normal, but my friend told me that it wasn't. I didn't go for any other massage after that.

However, I did started to jog outside for about 30 mins a day. That massage session made me realize how sore my shoulder was and how unfit I was becoming. Even during fasting month, I replaced the jog with walk to keep this habit going.

Also back in April, I actually went on my first ever solo trip to Korea but as soon as I got back, I started feeling pain on my right knee. The pain was so bad that I couldn't even properly kneel down during prayer. Initially I thought it would subside after awhile and it was probably just a post-travel thing since I walked more than usual during my travel, but I was wrong bcos it wasn't going away. 

Roughly 2 months in, that was the first time I heard my knee popped. I did feel a short relieved but the pain was still there. The pain and popping went on and off for about 4 months. 

During the whole 4 months, I continued with my daily walk to get my steps of at least 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which is equivalent to an hour plus of brisk walking. The pain got more disturbing as I could hardly walk up and down the stairs without feeling a sharp pain.

Then suddenly I came across a tweet recommending a chiropractic centre. That was my first time hearing about this option. Not long after seeing that, I saw a post on Tiktok about a girl ignoring her knee pain and ended up getting diagnosed with cancer. Not gonna lie, I started overthinking.

I told my family that I'm tempted to try chiropractic. But my family told me to go for a doctor check-up at the clinic first bcos they didn't think it was serious enough. Well, I did went not long after I came back from Korea. That time the doctor told me that it was bcos of my tendons and I was only prescribed with painkillers. The doctor couldn't give a more detailed explanation so I was quite reluctant to go back thinking I might hear the same thing.

I scraped that thought for awhile but I kept on complaining to my family about my knee. 2 weeks later, my mum told me I should just go for chiropractic. 

After getting a green light from my mum, I tried to find a chiropractic centre near my house. I found a few at SS2 but I hesitated bcos I didn't like driving there and the prices were quiet expensive for first time treatment.

That is how I came across Wellsworth Chiropractic and Physiotherapy Centre at SS7. I inquired on WhatsApp and found out that they're having a promo on free consultation for first time visits and that their pricing system were flat rate of RM100 for consultation and RM160 for treatment. Their doctors are also all female, so since it checks out all of my boxes, I thought I would give it a try.



Chiropractic

During my first visit, the chiropractor - Dr. Mag, basically asked few questions to understand my areas of concerns. I told her about my knee pain being the main concern and the neck being the secondary concern. She examined my body and explained to me what she discovered. 
My chiropractor explaining about my condition
She told me that I actually have flat feet on my right leg. The flat feet causes pressure on the inner part of my legs. She also told me I have a mild case of knock knee. It is a position where my knee is mostly facing inwards and feet facing outwards bcos the muscles are pulled from the inside more due to the flat feet.

I learnt so much from that alone. I never knew I had flat feet. I thought my feet were normal, but apparently the arch on my feet wasn't really arching, thus causes it to be flat.

We also found out that my legs weren't the same length. My right leg was shorter than my left.

Basically the pain on my knee was caused by the muscles being pulled more on one side than the other.

After explaining everything, she suggested me to go for a physio session as well. Although she could help with the adjustment of my bones, it is better to not depend on the adjustment alone. Adjustment is only a temporary solution and at the end of the day, our body should be able to function on its own.

It is also preferred for me to come again for another checking next week. When asked whether it had to be weekly, she explained that she would prefer to not have to do the same adjustment again the next time as it would make the treatment less effective.

She also suggested me to undergo a physiotherapy session to strengthen my muscle as my muscles were weak.

So I decided to follow her suggested treatment for chiro and physio, and buy their 4-session package to use it as a weekly checkup for a month. 

I don't think I was being pressured with the marketing at all. She answered my question and treated me like a patient than a customer. I like to believe that I make this decision solely for my own health benefits bcos I was so satisfied with the service. I paid RM560 for 4 sessions so that is RM140 per session, which to me is such a good deal for chiropractic and physiotherapy.
Adjustment to my lower back
After the chiro, I noticed a difference in the way I walk. My feet are no longer facing outwards like it previously did and my right knee was finally no longer in pain. I even felt the difference in the length of my legs while walking after the adjustment haha.

The next week, I went in for a small adjustment on my neck. Dr. Mag told me that she won't consider it as her session for this one bcos she would want to see me on my last session at the end of the month. So the plan is basically 2 sessions for chiro and 2 sessions for physio.

After the neck crack, I continue with my first physiotherapy session with Jescy.

Physiotherapy

Since Dr. Mag had briefed Jescy on my condition, she didn't have to start from zero. She begin with examining the muscles around my neck and knee. She told me that my neck is indeed very stiff and it is bcos of muscle knots.

The treatment session was basically her relieving all the muscle knots on my neck, shoulder, lower back and knee - which is basically my entire body. The whole session literally felt like a massage. It was so good. I could feel her putting pressure on my pain spots and I could literally feel the difference before and after the muscle knots being untangled. I could tell how big the knot on my dominant side was compared to the other side. It was amazing.

It was quiet a scary sight tho bcos she literally presses me using her elbow and that was painful, but it was such a good pain.

She told me that I have weak muscle so the next session, she will teach me strengthening exercises. She also taught me stretching to help with my muscle tension.

I asked her what causes weak muscle and she explained that our muscle have memory and bcos I was previously active but stopped for a long while, the muscles now contracts (meaning it is shorten) and that causes the stiffness.

Basically, my sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise is the root cause of my issue. She highlighted that my daily walk isn't enough, which makes sense bcos I once played softball and obviously playing a sport uses more muscle than merely walking.

I was pleasantly surprise with this physio session. I thought physiotherapy is about me doing exercises and the therapist just looking over me. But turns out they also do "massage" (at least that's what it felt like) which is much more effective than the ones we usually go to. This one really focus on my pain spots with great knowledge of the muscles instead of applying the same pressure all over the body.

Jescy taught me several stretching exercises and sent me some pictures as reference bcos there is no way I would remember how to do all 9 exercises she demonstrated haha. She even explained which muscle each exercise is meant to help me and where I need to feel the tension.

I came out of the room feeling super relieved with all the muscles not feeling stiff anymore. I haven't feel this relieved in so long. So worth the buck! I'm glad I decide to go for a proper treatment than just trying out different massage bcos this is definitely what I needed more.

I'm so excited to go for my next session.

Although the clinic just opened 2 months ago, the doctors are definitely experienced and willing to give you the best treatment. I'd definitely recommend this place to my friends!

Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.