What Final Semester Taught Me

by - August 13, 2019

Pending post since diploma... my bad.

1. Start things early. You may procrastinate along the way and that's fine, but it never hurts to start when you are most excited about something rather than wait after the excitement dies off.

2. Pack and unpack lightly to college. The packing part, only you can decide how 'light' is to you. For me, a week worth of simple clothes plus some formal/semi-formal clothes are enough to last me a semester. But expect me re-wearing my clothes often as I usually do laundry once a week. But just because you bring 7 luggage doesn't mean you need to unpack them all. Some things you can even leave them in the bag as it is and only take the ones you need out once in awhile. You'll thank your own self when packing them back up. TRUST ME.

3. Go all out in the beginning of semesters on activities as well as your academics. To me, doing well early definitely helped my lazy ass towards the end of diploma. I could easily apply to stay in campus because I had a decent amount of activities handled/participated, I don't have to struggle so hard for a decent CGPA because I was doing good early on so me slacking in the middle of the course duration didn't impact me much.

4. Don't shut people out so often. I learn that spending time with people and being honest with them has helped me resolved some of the burdens I had, which was neither my fault nor it was anyone else's, so that really confused me myself.

5. Take time trying things out. I have yet to find the thing I am really good at or even be really proud of, but me grabbing some of the opportunities that came my way was probably my favourite part of this journey.

6. Life skills are crucial. Cleaning, cooking and organizing is something that needs to be like common sense to you in college. It's crucial for both of your survival and from embarrassment of not knowing how to do basic things. But then again, you can always learn cos better late than never.

7. Try your best to pay attention in class. Most students slack off here. You'd be surprised how many students are actually mentally present in class. My advice is to make note-taking a habit. Like even if you won't refer back to your notes, at least jot something down because at least, the laziest thing a student can do is passive studying.

8. Do your own work. Get your hands on all the participation that you can take and do it yourself. No matter how confusing it is, how difficult it is, there's no work as worthy as the one you work hardest on.

9. Depend lesser on your parents. Be it financially or time and effort, you should learn to let yourself away from your parents' radar. I know it can be hard, to try and live off on your own, but you would become a lot more mature once you do. You will only realise how terrible you are at self-management and budgeting then.

10. Show interest in everything and anything. Even if you are not an active person, by showing interest on those who are, will make you more aware of your surroundings. Take time and listen to their stories. You'd be surprise how different experiences takes people to different paths.

11. Have variety of friends. Don't always spend time with the same bunch, because you will miss out on a lot of things. It might seem pathetic to always have to leech off different people, but leeching off is always a fun way of exploring things.

12. Be proud of your own achievements. No one's acknowledgement is as valuable as your own's. Even when you think getting recognition from someone might mean differently to you, don't fool yourself. You might just get disappointed.

13. Be your own competitor. If you're not good enough to be competing with someone higher than you, compete with your past self. Aim higher and do better. Don't wait for a true competitor. The world is too fast for you to stop.

14. The best advice is from yourself. Sometimes, you just gotta take a step back and listen to your own train of thoughts. Try listing out your lesson learnt and read them again in the future. Give yourself credit too once in a while.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

1 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.