Band MUET

by - May 20, 2018

Hella nervous for this.

I found out about the announcement date about a week in advance. So up until that morning of the result day, I was already pumpin'. 

Let me be as honest as I can here. I wanted Band 6. 

1) Because that's what most people expected from me.
2) I wanted to look smart. If not in coding, at least in language.
3) Even my brother who didn't study got at least Band 5. 

Tbh, I am better than him.

From the start, my expectation was rather high. However, it wasn't a baseless expectation. You see, my group of friends and I meet-up to study for MUET for more than 3 times. Even though, I personally don't think I needed any of it. Language skill doesn't develop overnight. On top of that, we even went to the last minute MUET workshop together to get an insight about the marking scheme. I'd be lying if I didn't expect a high band.

The moment of truth. 10am. 10/5/2018.

I first went to the website at 10 o'clock sharp. But the website was still not updated so I tried the SMS method. Same like any other academic-related result you wanted to know - PMR, SPM, UPU application - they all take a long time to reply. After around 20 mins, I gave up and try the portal again. Then I got in.

"Band Achieved: 4"

Ha ha ha ha ha... what?
Before I could digest the fact, I searched for my friends' IC to check theirs and they all got the expected results. Some Band 3, some 4. BUT WHY DID I GET SUCH LOW SCORE FOR MY EXPECTATION?!

I told my family. My mum asked what happened to me. Overconfident happened, mum.

So what do I do?

In reality, I just gotta shrug it off. Yeah it's a bummer I got a lower score than my expectation. I got a total mark of 219 and stuck in Band 4 whereas 220 is a Band 5. Sounds tragic, I know. But I don't have the slightest intention to pay them RM70 for a remarking process so I'm just gonna live with it.

If you are consider retaking or remarking your exam when you got a result like mine, try asking yourself. Does MUET mean that much to you? And will it mean anything more in the future? To me, this MUET slip is already enough for me to graduate Bachelor's Degree and that's all I needed, so anything more would just be feeding my ego. 

Lastly, my verdict for this result is that University standard is really something. My brother took his exam in a school and he got Band 5 without having to study for it. I got a Band 4 when I took it in my uni and studied my ass off for it. So you can see and make the best choice for yourself.


Dropping by,
Melynn.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Your thoughts are much appreciated! TQ.